Code of Ethics - Commitment to Students
Page 3 of 18
SECTION II - A. COMMITMENT TO STUDENTS
- Shall always strive to enhance the intellectual, social and moral growth of students.
- Shall seek to encourage the development of good self-esteem in pupils, and to eliminate the possibility of unnecessary embarrassment or disparagement.
- Shall strive to instill in students a sense of patriotism and national pride.
- Shall develop in students an appreciation for high standards and a desire to strive for excellence in their various spheres of life.
- Shall safeguard confidential information about pupils and only disclose such information for compelling reasons or if required by law.
- Shall not attempt to undermine the confidence of teachers in students, or of students in others students.
- Shall take reasonable care to protect the safety and welfare of all students.
- Shall not exploit or violate the privileged relationship between teacher and student in order to subdue, proselytize or for ideological control of any student.
- Shall exercise authority with justice and comparison and take all possible steps to protect their students from any form of verbal, mental, physical or sexual abuse.
- Shall respect and deal justly and considerately with each student regardless of sex, ethnic origin, social or economic status, political or religious affiliation.
- Shall respect the rights of all students, to benefit from the provisions identified in the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child, particularly as these rights apply to education.
- Shall maintain high standards of professional competence by providing quality learning experiences for their students.
- Shall strive to improve the learning facilities and classroom environment for their students.
- Shall acknowledge the uniqueness, individuality and specific needs of each student, and provide guidance and encouragement to enable each student to realize his/her full potential.
- Shall impress upon their students the value of punctuality and regularity and be an example in this regard concerning the performance of their duty.
- Shall endeavour to ensure that their students be given the full amount of contact time with maximum time-on-task.
- Shall place high value on and demonstrate to students, commitment to excellence in work, manners and achievement.
- Shall encourage all students to show respect for others and be thoughtful and helpful at all times, especially in relation to the aged and the handicapped.
- Shall refrain from any word or act or appearance which can in any way mislead or scandalize a student.
- Shall equip their students with a wide range of essential social graces.
- Shall exercise due care, diligence and confidentiality in all matters affecting the welfare of the students.
- Shall instill in all students (a) the value of a litter-free and defacement-free environment (b) the urge to keep their tables, chairs, desks, classroom floor and walls; school buildings and school compound clean and tidy.
- Shall instill in their students a commitment to the conservation of all school resources.
- Shall instill in their students a deep respect for personal, private and public property and facilities.
- Shall undertake all reasonable measures to establish, promote and sustain any and all character-building student groups and organizations, such as students councils, drama, sporting and literary groups in their respective schools.